Wednesday, April 30, 2014

It's Just a Massage


"You're just a massage therapist, gee-whiz, why do you take everything/ it / rude comments / not funny jokes / etc so personally?"

Skipping past the maniacal obsession that all business owners must possess in order to be in business for themselves, cuz the money sure ain't there (can we talk about the tax rate in this great state??)... and
hop-skipping over the latent, though recovering, bout of perfectionism I have suffered from ALL MY FREAKING LIFE (seriously, I only liked milk from the left tit), and jump skipping over the fact that I am totally with Meg Ryan by 'wondering what is so wrong with taking things personally, surely it should all begin by being personal' etc...

I take 'massage' so personally because it should be the basis of human interaction, touch. It leads to understanding, love, nurturing, and elevates us to the highest level of human expression. It is an art. It is a science. It incorporates all intuition about being a person, standing witness to someone's life, and trying to help.

I have put my hands on four generations of people that all came through my door looking for something. I have worked on people in all seasons of their life and in all stages of their experience on this planet. Celebrities to homeless, babies to octogenarians. Just born to dying. I have worked on social welfare workers, many of whom had filed bankruptcy, get this.... in order TO KEEP WORKING and one was sleeping in her car to help feed her clients. Heroes come in all shapes and sizes. Their words echo in my head for years.

To me, massage is a response that is life affirming and natural and celebratory and soothing.

I have given my best to those in need when I was breaking inside, past breaking, broken. I know I will continue if blind, battered, or limbless. It is a calling and my religion. My door is open to those in need and I will continue to be grateful for this opportunity.

3 comments:

  1. I feel you, Becky.

    Sonia Alexandra, LMT

    http://www.stone-healing.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete